Stop Collecting Motivation and Start Making Decisions

 

Stop Collecting Motivation and Start Making Decisions

There is no shortage of motivation today.

Open your phone and within minutes you'll find someone telling you to dream bigger, believe in yourself, keep going, start over, protect your peace, find your purpose, and never give up.

Those messages can be helpful.

But eventually, inspiration has to become action.

Motivation Feels Good—But It Doesn't Make the Decision for You

You can save a hundred inspirational posts and still wake up six months from now in exactly the same place.

Not because the messages weren't good.

But because knowing something and doing something are two completely different things.

There comes a moment when we have to stop asking:

“Do I feel motivated?”

And start asking:

“What have I decided?”

A decision creates direction.

Stop Making Promises That Are Too Big

Sometimes we sabotage ourselves before we even begin.

We say:

“I'm changing my whole life.”

“I'm going to work out every day.”

“I'm finally starting my business.”

“I'm going to completely change my finances.”

Those goals may be wonderful, but they're so large that we can become overwhelmed before we've taken the first step.

Try something different.

Make one smaller promise.

Then keep it.

If you want to become healthier, maybe today's promise is a 20-minute walk.

If you want to start writing, perhaps it's one page.

If you want to build a business, maybe it's finally researching the first step instead of talking about starting.

Small actions don't look impressive from the outside.

But repeated small actions can completely change your direction.

Build Trust With Yourself Again

Think about how you feel when someone repeatedly tells you they're going to do something and never follows through.

Eventually, you stop believing them.

We can unintentionally do the same thing to ourselves.

Every January.

Every Monday.

Every “tomorrow.”

We make promises and quietly break them.

But here's the good news:

You can rebuild that trust.

Start making smaller commitments to yourself—and honor them.

Your Challenge

Take five minutes today and write:

“I'm tired of telling myself that I will eventually __________.”

Then write:

“This week I will __________.”

Your second answer should be something you can realistically complete within seven days.

Then do it.

Don't announce it to everybody.

Don't wait for applause.

Just keep your word to yourself.

Because sometimes the breakthrough isn't another burst of motivation.

Sometimes it's finally making a decision—and following through.

— Camille

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Decision Can Change Everything

The Power of Showing Up Even When You Don't Feel Like It

Stop Waiting for the Right Time

Helping You Move Forward, One Step at a Time

Give Yourself Permission to Rest