Are You Confused—or Are You Avoiding the Answer?
There are seasons when we genuinely don't know what to do next.
But there are also times when we tell ourselves we're confused because admitting what we really want would require something from us.
A decision.
A difficult conversation.
A boundary.
A beginning.
Or an ending.
And that's much harder than saying, “I just don't know.”
Sometimes We Already Know
Think about something you've been wrestling with for a while.
When you're alone and completely truthful with yourself, is there an answer that keeps coming back?
Maybe you know you're unhappy with something.
Maybe you know you've outgrown a situation.
Maybe you know there's something you've wanted to pursue.
Maybe you know a habit needs to change.
Knowing doesn't automatically make acting easy.
That's where avoidance can begin.
Why Do We Avoid Things?
Because decisions have consequences.
If I acknowledge what I want, what will I have to change?
What will people think?
What if I fail?
What if I disappoint someone?
What if I make the wrong decision?
Those are legitimate concerns.
But fear surrounding an answer doesn't necessarily mean the answer is wrong.
Sometimes it simply means the answer matters.
Give Yourself Permission to Tell the Truth
You don't have to announce your decision today.
You don't have to change your entire life tomorrow.
Start with honesty.
Take out a piece of paper and write:
“If I were completely honest with myself, I would admit that…”
Then finish the sentence.
Don't write what sounds responsible.
Don't write what someone else would want you to say.
Write what is true.
You may discover that you're genuinely uncertain.
That's okay.
But you may also discover that you've known something for quite some time.
Then Ask One More Question
Once you've identified what you're avoiding, ask:
“What's one responsible step I can take toward dealing with this?”
Not the biggest step.
Not the final decision.
The next responsible step.
Maybe that's gathering information.
Maybe it's making an appointment.
Maybe it's having a conversation.
Maybe it's creating a plan.
Maybe it's simply giving yourself a deadline to stop postponing the decision.
Clarity Doesn't Always Arrive Like a Revelation
Sometimes clarity is quiet.
It's the thought that keeps returning.
The idea you can't completely dismiss.
The truth you keep trying to negotiate with.
And eventually, growth requires us to stop asking for another sign and start paying attention to what we've already learned about ourselves.
So this week, don't pressure yourself to have your entire future figured out.
Just ask:
Am I truly confused—or am I avoiding something I already know?
Your answer may tell you what deserves your attention next.
— Camille
Unstuck With Camille
Comments
Post a Comment